ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Sep 1 00:00:26 EDT 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Alec H. Peterson wrote:

> We're going in circles here.
>
> You don't like the policy.  That's fine.  Work to get it changed (which
> you've already started doing).

How can you say I don't like the policy?  It's been established that the
policy is undefined.  Nobody knows what the rules relating to IP virtual
hosting and ARIN allocations are now.  What I don't like is ARIN
announcing a new policy that could affect me the next time I request space
that's so vague I can't foresee how it will affect the success/failure of
my request.

I can say, that if the rule is now that all IP virtual hosts that don't
absolutely need to be IP based must be converted to name-based before our
next request can be filled, I won't be a happy camper.  I don't want to
think about the man hours that would be required to do that or the ill
will it will create among our ISP customers who will also have to
reconfigure their servers and return IPs to us for
reallocation/reassignment.

If the rule is we can't request space intending to use it for IP virtual
hosts that don't absolutely need to be IP based, and that we need to stop
setting up IP based virtual hosts where possible, I can probably live with
that.

> And, in the future, follow the appropriate mailing lists so that we don't
> end up creating policies that everybody doesn't like.

Wonderful.  Another mailing list to join.  I'm on ppml now.

 Atlantic Net                |