ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Fri Sep 1 00:29:12 EDT 2000

jlewis at lewis.org wrote:

> I can say, that if the rule is now that all IP virtual hosts that don't
> absolutely need to be IP based must be converted to name-based before our
> next request can be filled, I won't be a happy camper.  I don't want to
> think about the man hours that would be required to do that or the ill
> will it will create among our ISP customers who will also have to
> reconfigure their servers and return IPs to us for
> reallocation/reassignment.
>
> If the rule is we can't request space intending to use it for IP virtual
> hosts that don't absolutely need to be IP based, and that we need to stop
> setting up IP based virtual hosts where possible, I can probably live with
> that.

I don't believe any sort of migration strategy was discussed.  It is
certainly worth mentioning, I'll bring it up at the AC meeting we're
scheduled to have on Sunday, October 1.  We will share our discussion at the
public policy meeting and hopefully get more feedback to formulate a policy
change recommendation to the board.

Alec

Alec H. Peterson - ahp at hilander.com
Staff Scientist
CenterGate Research Group - http://www.centergate.com
"Technology so advanced, even _we_ don't understand it!"