ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Thu Aug 31 23:39:50 EDT 2000

jlewis at lewis.org wrote:

> OTOH, the new policy could have said something like:
>
>   Examples of exceptions to this new rule are (but are not limited to):
>    A) websites using SSL (https://)
>    B) virtual host anonymous FTP sites
>    C) ... etc.
>
> Instead, we're all left guessing.  Nobody has a clue what might constitute
> a valid exception.  We waste lots of time whining and arguing about the
> new policy and create a huge message thread.  The thread begins to wander
> and spawns sub-threads arguing about the validity of various protocols,
> file naming conventions, etc.

We're going in circles here.

You don't like the policy.  That's fine.  Work to get it changed (which
you've already started doing).

And, in the future, follow the appropriate mailing lists so that we don't
end up creating policies that everybody doesn't like.

Alec

Alec H. Peterson - ahp at hilander.com
Staff Scientist
CenterGate Research Group - http://www.centergate.com
"Technology so advanced, even _we_ don't understand it!"