ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Aug 31 23:08:05 EDT 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Kim Hubbard wrote:

> We thought it best not to include specific exceptions because although we
> were aware of several possible exceptions, we didn't want people to feel
> restricted to just those listed.  There could've been some we didn't know
> about and we wanted to wait until we heard from some of the requesting

OTOH, the new policy could have said something like:

  Examples of exceptions to this new rule are (but are not limited to):
   A) websites using SSL (https://)
   B) virtual host anonymous FTP sites
   C) ... etc.

Instead, we're all left guessing.  Nobody has a clue what might constitute
a valid exception.  We waste lots of time whining and arguing about the
new policy and create a huge message thread.  The thread begins to wander
and spawns sub-threads arguing about the validity of various protocols,
file naming conventions, etc.

 Atlantic Net                |