[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Apr 15 18:23:05 EDT 2013

On Apr 15, 2013, at 3:14 PM, Jesse D. Geddis <jesse at la-broadband.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> Thanks so much for finally breaking this down. I've asked for this a few
> times.

Jesse -

  We've provided this information already; you did you review the referenced fee presentation?
  <https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XXX/PDF/thursday/curran_fee_schedule.pdf>

> Here is how the data you pasted breaks out in fees collected in aggregate
> by those groups based on your numbers.
>
> X-Small		948	$1,185,000
>   Small		2,240	$5,600,000
>   Medium		630	$2,835,000
>   Large		106	$954,000
>   X­Large		73	$1,314,000

 Per page 13 of the above presentation, here are the 2011 actual
 costs as broken down by the existing fee categories:

    X–Small        $1,245,000   11.51%
    Small          $4,506,000   41.65%
    Medium         $2,835,000   26.21%
    Large          $  909,000    8.40%
    X–Large        $1,323,000   12.23%

> 	My next question, John, is would you kindly superimpose the resources
> consumed in each category? What I want to know specifically is what how
> many IP's are currently allocated to each "class". For example, the small
> category can only possibly be allocated 18,345,600 IPv4's at the very most.

 We have not done the above calculation, but it can be derived from the
 whois data if you desire to do so.

> 	Here's what I find particularly interesting about these numbers:
> The entire group of "Small" are using in total less IP's than many SINGLE
> customers in X-Large. However, they are collectively paying 5x more. In
> other words. 2,240 customers are collectively paying $5.6million dollars
> for what 1 customer is paying $18k for! What the heck?

 That is not surprising at all, and I will note that under IPv6, this effect is
 even more pronounced (a single ISP with a /20 of IPv6 space will likely exceed
 the total IPv6 holdings of thousands of ISP's with smaller address holdings.)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO