[arin-discuss] [arin-ppml] ARIN as a public interest business

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 17:45:42 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Luke S. Crawford <lsc at prgmr.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 09:16:32AM -0500, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> I'm just saying, for me?  I'd be quite happy paying ARIN 2x or 3x as
> much if it meant, say, that some space would be reserved for when
> I could justify it.  Using IPs you don't have direct from ARIN
> is a frighteningly expensive proposition. The cheapest PA /24s
> I have cost me a grand a year.   The most expensive PA /24s cost
> me $384.  And this is the line item on the invoice; I believe I'm
> paying more than I need to for the rest of the services I get from
> those providers because they know it's a huge pain for me to lose
> those IPs before I finish the painful process of getting everyone to
> move.   Nearly all of those blocks were free with the bandwidth
> when the contract started.

Was allowing them to charge you for PA part of the service terms?

> Certainly, not everyone feels this way, (and certainly, it's more
> difficult for me to renumber than for most people, and my current
> difficulties are largely unrelated to anything but some poorly-considered
> promises I have made to my own customers.)  but I can't tell you the
> number of consulting clients (that were not large enough to justify
> a direct allocation)  that just wanted to write a large check to get
> a large block from ARIN.

Doesn't everyone. But they can write a large check to acquire
addresses via the legacy market today:

http://addrex.net/
http://ipv4marketgroup.com/

> If anything, with v4 runout approaching, I'm glad they have something of a
> war chest to help smooth runout.  I mean, I don't claim to know what is

I wish it were that simple. That war chest represents a significant
over charging of services in my opinion.

> going to happen, but I'm pretty sure that if ARIN no longer has address
> space, it's going to be a /whole lot/ more difficult for those of us
> who came of age after CIDR and therefore don't have huge class B blocks
> to compete in spaces that require lots of low-cost IPv4 addresses, like
> the virtual private server market.

I agree with you. But then again, it'll be harder for all of us.

> So yeah, if anything?   I'd vote to charge me more if it means ARIN is
> more prepared for runout.  (I don't know if they can use money to help
> solve that problem, but they are in a position to do something more than
> anyone else is.)

I wish we knew what they would use the money for period.

Best,

-M<