[arin-discuss] Suggestion 2010.1 -- Initial Fee Waiver for IPv6 assignments to LRSA signatories

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Feb 8 11:13:35 EST 2010

In a message written on Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 07:58:20AM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
> I'm not proposing creating any new terms other than waiving a one-time
> fee of $1250.  They would still be expected to qualify for their IPv6 resources
> under current ARIN policy, sign the current ARIN RSA for their IPv6
> resources, and, follow the same rules for any new IPv4 or ASN resources
> they choose to seek. They would still pay the same annual fee for their
> resources as anyone else.

Qualify, as in section 6.5.8.1, right.

As long as your not an IPv6 LIR, and you can show you've used your
IPv4 efficiently (section 4.3.3, 50%) you get IPv6.

So a small entity/individual who received an IPv4 "Class C" back
in the days when they were actually Class C's need show only that
they have used 50% of that space, which means they only need to
address 64 devices (so that a /25 is required as the subnet size,
and thus 50%) and they get an IPv6 /48, which with your suggestion
would be free.

In theory even, since 4.3.3 allows 25% day one, and 50% in one year
you could even aruge you have 32 devices now, allocate a /26 to
them as a result, meeting 25%, and "promise" to expand within a
year.

I have a lot of trouble giving anyone with 64 devices a cost free
slot in the DFZ.

If ARIN's policies now are holding up IPv6 deployment then we have
a much, much bigger issue.  I think you could propose a policy where
you paid people $1250 to deploy IPv6 and it wouldn't make a hill
of beans worth of difference.  It's happening where it needs to
happen, at the rate it needs to happen.  We need to stop trying to
goose it along and let it unfold.

But, to be clear, I don't want my orgs registration fees going to
subsidize legacy holders getting IPv6 space.  That's what happens
when they don't pay the initial allocation fee, but someone still
has to pay for the staff time.  I don't think it's good for the
DFZ, I don't think it's good for the dynamics between the legacy
holders and non-legacy holders.