[arin-discuss] Suggestion 2010.1 -- Initial Fee Waiver for IPv6 assignments to LRSA signatories

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Feb 8 11:26:36 EST 2010

On Feb 8, 2010, at 8:13 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a message written on Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 07:58:20AM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> I'm not proposing creating any new terms other than waiving a one-time
>> fee of $1250.  They would still be expected to qualify for their IPv6 resources
>> under current ARIN policy, sign the current ARIN RSA for their IPv6
>> resources, and, follow the same rules for any new IPv4 or ASN resources
>> they choose to seek. They would still pay the same annual fee for their
>> resources as anyone else.
>
> Qualify, as in section 6.5.8.1, right.

Presumably, yes.

> As long as your not an IPv6 LIR, and you can show you've used your
> IPv4 efficiently (section 4.3.3, 50%) you get IPv6.

Correct.

> So a small entity/individual who received an IPv4 "Class C" back
> in the days when they were actually Class C's need show only that
> they have used 50% of that space, which means they only need to
> address 64 devices (so that a /25 is required as the subnet size,
> and thus 50%) and they get an IPv6 /48, which with your suggestion
> would be free.

Well, the initial assignment would be free. They'd still pay annual
maintenance.

Right... The only thing new here being that they get the /48 without
paying a one-time $1250 fee. The rest is existing policy.

> In theory even, since 4.3.3 allows 25% day one, and 50% in one year
> you could even aruge you have 32 devices now, allocate a /26 to
> them as a result, meeting 25%, and "promise" to expand within a
> year.

Since we're only talking about legacy here, it's pretty hard to buy
into that since by definition all legacy assignments are WELL over
one year old (more than 10 years old, as a matter of fact).

> I have a lot of trouble giving anyone with 64 devices a cost free
> slot in the DFZ.

But they already have one in IPv4 and are allowed to keep it without
paying even annual fees to ARIN if they choose not to sign the LRSA.

Finally, ARIN doesn't give out DFZ slots, ISPs do, so, this argument
is specious from the start.

Personally, I think the benefit of getting legacy holders to accept and
deploy IPv6 and sign the LRSA far outweighs the one-time $1250
that ARIN would be giving up.

> If ARIN's policies now are holding up IPv6 deployment then we have
> a much, much bigger issue.  I think you could propose a policy where
> you paid people $1250 to deploy IPv6 and it wouldn't make a hill
> of beans worth of difference.  It's happening where it needs to
> happen, at the rate it needs to happen.  We need to stop trying to
> goose it along and let it unfold.

I don't think policies are holding up deployment and this isn't an attempt
to alter policy.

However, if you really think this won't make a difference, then, why
are you so convinced it will do harm?

Owen