[arin-discuss] IPv6-only website

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Fri Apr 23 01:43:19 EDT 2010

On 2010.04.23 01:32, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2010, at 8:52 PM, Steve Bertrand wrote:
>
>> On 2010.04.22 21:44, Steve Bertrand wrote:
>>> There were a few people who were curious and asked me about what the
>>> effects would be for ISPs that delayed their IPv6 implementation until
>>> after the v4 runout during the ARIN meeting.
>>
>> Speaking to myself, I seem to have found another issue regarding IPv6
>> only sites.
>>
>> If the following website:
>>
>> http://www.hscripts.com/tools/HDNT/dns-record.php
>>
>> ...is not correct in claiming this against my domain:
>>
>> "No AAAA records exist for onlyv6.com"
>>
>> ...it means that they are lying to me, and they must be basing this
>> conclusion on not being able to *see* my AAAA records (due to the fact
>> that their resolvers are relying on me having both v4 AND v6
>> connectivity on my authoritative servers).
>>
>> Can someone with more DNS knowledge than I have do some troubleshooting
>> for me on the onlyv6.com domain and let me know if I'm on the right
>> track here?
>>
> Hard to troubleshoot from afar.  My guess would be that perhaps:
>
> 1.	Your nameservers for that zone are IPv6 only, not just the web site.
> 	(nothing wrong with this)
>
> 2.	Their resolver is not ready for an IPv6-only nameserver.
> 	It's like XP... it'll get a quad-A, but, it won't get anything over IPv6.

I think you missed some of the previous posts I made, which had
documented your two situations (in fact, the site itself describes them).

> I suggest contacting the site administrators and asking them
> exactly the question you have above:

In this case, I think that I will do exactly that. It will be a
fantastic learning experience for me to see how well I can do on my
first IPv6 outreach attempt with someone that I came across thanks to
Google, and I have no idea who they are whatsoever.

I'll document the conversation, as I'm sure it will get interesting :)

Steve