[arin-discuss] IPv4 allocation conundrum

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Apr 19 23:03:24 EDT 2010

On Apr 19, 2010, at 4:18 PM, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:16:51PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> We had a /24 from both. Neither provider would SWIP those blocks and show
>>> that we were assigned them. Both required the other provider to provide, in
>>> writing, authorization for us to announce the other provider's block.
>>> Neither provider would give a written authorization (although both required
>>> one). We went round and round and round. The damage done to my business was
>>> not insignificant.
>>>
>> If you have a provider in the ARIN region that assigns you a block and refuses
>> to SWIP it or put it in their RWHOIS server, you should contact ARIN. Assuming
>> they are using ARIN issued space, the policy under which they received that
>> space clearly states that they are required to register it accordingly. If they
>> refuse, then, they have violated their RSA.
>
> 	that might be true for a big chunk of current policy.
> 	that is not true for all space under the ARIN management framework
> 	and it is whitewashing to futz accuracy here.

Bill,
	It is true for EVERY provider that issued you space they received from ARIN
as an ISP. If they received the space from ARIN, but, not as an ISP, then, ARIN should
know about that, too, but, the issue is the reassignment, not the lack of a SWIP.
As such, I stand by my statement.  If they received the space FROM ARIN, the
statement holds true, as it is subject to the RSA.

Owen