[arin-discuss] ipv6 technology supplier phone bank?

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Thu Sep 24 09:49:55 EDT 2009

> Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:40:54 +0100
> From: <michael.dillon at bt.com>
> Maybe ARIN could organize an IPv6 awareness sprint, and provide a room
> full of phones, with coffee and snacks for the volunteers?

this could be done, and would be among other things a great experience of
shared pain, shared fun, and shared learning for all.  (and i can see a
way to extend it beyond that room on that day, using a ticket system after
we get back to our own offices.)  however, one part of the challenge seems
daunting:

> Any would-be heroes should sit down at the phone and start calling minor
> equipment vendors and software vendors to find out when they will support
> IPv6. Any bit of software used in network operational support or by home
> users needs to be IPv6 capable.

how should we build the target list, since many of our vendors are several
layers deep behind resellers, and since pounding on the resellers may be
like pushing on ropes?

overall i'm intrigued by this idea, it's a great use of ARIN's resources --
and i mean especially the talents and contacts of *all* of the people here,
not just ARIN staff/board/council.

paul vixie
chairman
ARIN BoT