[arin-discuss] ARIN billing practice

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Sep 21 21:52:40 EDT 2009

On Sep 21, 2009, at 5:09 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Question - if someone on the Internet e-mails ARIN with information
> that
> is verifiable that an address block holder is bogus would ARIN
> follow it up?

There's a fraud reporting process: https://www.arin.net/resources/fraud/

If you submit information regarding an address block which you suspect
was obtained via fraudulent means (e.g. hijacking, improper
transfers), we will investigate. If it turns out that there was
fraudulent misrepresentation to ARIN, we will reclaim the resources
involved.

> For example, if Joe Spamfighter e-mails all master POCs of a block
> holder and they bounce, calls the phone numbers on them and gets a
> "this
> is a disconnected number" goes to a website on it and gets no response
> back, then complains to ARIN, would ARIN follow this up?

If reported via the fraud reporting process, we will indeed follow-
up.  That report would not result in reclamation action (even if the
contacts are no longer valid) unless the information shows that the
original block holder's application for space was fraudulent.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN