[arin-discuss] Good Stewardship by example, I'd like to RETURN a /20

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jul 24 22:53:34 EDT 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 7:02 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> Owen sent me [another] private email displaying confusion. Let me
> restate this [publicly] for clarity sake:
>

>> On 7/24/09, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
> That would be you, Owen Delong, the author.

Yep.

> [ snip ]
>

>>> Bottom line is that you can't designate a proxy, but, you CAN make
>>> your input known
>>> to the process by participating on PPML even if you do not attend a
>>> meeting.
>
> That would be what you said. Your text.

Yep... Which clearly refers to POLICY and not to Elections which is the
only role a DMR really has.

> "Where does it say you can't designate a proxy as the DMR? I believe
> we
> can designate someone as our proxy by assigning them as DMR."

You can't designate a proxy for POLICY matters which is what the context
of the rest of my post made pretty clear.

Additionally you can't really appoint a PROXY for your DMR, so much as
you can
appoint anyone you chose AS your DMR.

> "Each General Member shall name one designated member representative
> to vote on its behalf in any ARIN general election for the Board of
> Trustees and Advisory Council and other matters related to ARIN."

Right... ELECTIONS.  Nothing to do with POLICY, the subject of my post.

> That would be a quote from the ARIN bylaws.
>
> "The DMR must have a name and personalized e-mail address on record
> with the Member Services Department to be eligible to vote. The e-mail
> must include the person's name or initials and the organization's
> domain name. Role accounts are not acceptable."
>
> That would be from the ARIN website.
>
> Personally, I question that validity of ARIN requiring that form for
> the DMR without it being codified in the by-laws or even a community
> policy. Any email address should suffice as long as it is properly
> directed by the member.

I'll leave that between you and the BoT who are responsible for those
decisions.

> Regardless, the bottom line is yes, you can in fact assign a proxy to
> cast your vote if you so choose.

Sure, in elections. However, since the discussion was about how to
affect POLICY discussions and "votes", the DMR is a rathole to the
original discussion and really has nothing to do with the subject.

Owen