[arin-discuss] Good Stewardship by example, I'd like to RETURN a /20

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Fri Jul 24 22:02:18 EDT 2009

Owen sent me [another] private email displaying confusion. Let me
restate this [publicly] for clarity sake:

> On 7/24/09, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

That would be you, Owen Delong, the author.

[ snip ]

>> Bottom line is that you can't designate a proxy, but, you CAN make
>> your input known
>> to the process by participating on PPML even if you do not attend a
>> meeting.

That would be what you said. Your text.

"Where does it say you can't designate a proxy as the DMR? I believe we
can designate someone as our proxy by assigning them as DMR."

That would be me, yours truly, addressing your incorrect assertion.

"Each General Member shall name one designated member representative
to vote on its behalf in any ARIN general election for the Board of
Trustees and Advisory Council and other matters related to ARIN."

That would be a quote from the ARIN bylaws.

"The DMR must have a name and personalized e-mail address on record
with the Member Services Department to be eligible to vote. The e-mail
must include the person's name or initials and the organization's
domain name. Role accounts are not acceptable."

That would be from the ARIN website.

Personally, I question that validity of ARIN requiring that form for
the DMR without it being codified in the by-laws or even a community
policy. Any email address should suffice as long as it is properly
directed by the member.

Regardless, the bottom line is yes, you can in fact assign a proxy to
cast your vote if you so choose.

Best, Regards,

Martin