[arin-discuss] Food for thought: IPv4 accountability.

Jon Radel jradel at vantage.com
Wed Jul 22 09:56:39 EDT 2009

Kelvin Williams wrote:
> Its not that we don't care. Its that we have end users who don't.
>
> Maybe we should use ARINs resources to educate the masses, similar to
> the Digital TV campaign.
Hmmm...I think we've looped around to where I got on this mailing list a
couple of years ago.  At that point some people were ganging up on ARIN
staff and going on at some considerable length about how horrible, bad,
just terrible it was that ARIN was wasting the funds provided by small
ISPs by sending staff to technical conferences to do outreach on IPv6.

Sigh.

P.S.  I'd settle for my management and upstream providers caring about
IPv6.  I'm at peace with the vast majority of our customers thinking I'm
insane should I start talking to them about the plumbing.  If it's lower
than layer 7, they don't care.

--

Jon Radel
Senior Director of Engineering
e: jradel at vantage.com

"When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in
numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it,
when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and
unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have
scarcely, in your thoughts, advanced to the state of science, whatever the matter may be." ~Lord Kelvin