[arin-discuss] Voting Members

Jeremy Anthony Kinsey jer at mia.net
Wed Oct 29 13:46:41 EDT 2008

On Oct 26, 2008, at 9:49 PM, Dean Anderson wrote:

> Are you talking about the certified mail letters sent to ARIN members
> recently?  If so, I agree that was a complete waste of money.
> Certified
> mail is to legally prove that the letter was received.  Usually
> certified mail is done to prevent the recipient from claiming
> ignorance;
> as might be the case with Board members who might assert they didn't
> know of the lack of quorum in their elections; or a Board member who
> might assert they thought some OTHER board member was not validly
> elected.  And of course, if the Board member refuses to receive
> certified mail at their proper address then that fact can lead to an
> adverse inference as well.

Yes, I am talking about the stupid decision to waste money on sending
a certified letter telling me what I already know.

I think the use of certified mail here was not only a waste, but
likely something that is totally inappropriate.

> By contrast, ARIN is required by law (Virginia Nonstock Corporation
> Act
> Section 13.1-842) to give notice of an upcoming election, but it
> doesn't
> need to send that notice by CERTIFIED MAIL. Further, the notice
> required
> by law has to occur "no less than ten nor more than sixty days before
> the date of the meeting". So ARIN had to send these notices much
> sooner
> than 10/14 (the date on my letter) for a member meeting taking place
> on
> 10/15-10/17.  Even notice sent 10/14 about a vote ending 10/24 at 12pm
> is less than ten days, so this letter had no effect whatsoever; it was
> just marketing literature sent by certified mail. So, a waste of
> money.

Then post it on the website and in a paper or a simple letter.  Simply
placing it on the web site makes it "Published".  Once published, its
as good as gold and considered as a matter of record.

If someone did not know when to vote, that's too bad.  Does ARIN need
to send out hundreds of invoice emails, invoice letters, certified
invoice letters to get someone to remember to pay their bill?  I'm
sure that happens in some cases, but more often than not, you get a
bill, you pay it.  I see the constant barrage of letters, marketing
fluff, emails and now this certified letter as a total waste of my
time and the organizations finances.

You have a WEB SITE.  Use it.

> Maybe the judgment of management needs to be reviewed; hopefully, this
> will be the first order of business for a new board of directors to
> replace the unelected 'board members'. :-)

Reviewed how?  Run for a position?  Make noise? Complain? What?
Normally in my business life, if I did not like something a supplier,
customer, or employee was doing, I got rid of them.  Sadly with ARIN,
I am glued to the oligopoly as it stands.

Using Certified mail for this purpose was careless, wasteful and just
plain stupid.  Thats about all I can do is say my piece.  It was a bad
move.

Regards,
Jeremy Anthony Kinsey
  e-mail: jer at mia.net