[arin-discuss] Voting Members

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Oct 29 15:09:09 EDT 2008

Members know, but they aren't voting.  I actually appreciated the
registered mail - it wasn't the reminder, as the fact
that when my boss got it, it raised the importance of participation
in ARIN in his eyes.

I know it sounds stupid.  But keep in mind that not all check-signers
at networks are technical people.  That should have been made pretty
clear with the bankruptcy of Apex Global Internet Services. (agis.net)
The technical people in that company were disgusted with the spammers,
it was the non-technical check-signing moneybag holders who were so
pro-spammer.  They ignored what the techs were telling them and they
lost their money as a result.  Unfortunately, there's still plenty
more ISP's that are run by moneybag people who ignored that particular
lesson.

> I don't recall my last invoice from ARIN showing up
> registered mail.
> In fact, when I received the registered mail I was under the
> impression I either missed a payment, did something wrong, or was
> being sued. Those are the only times I've ever seen registered mail
> employed.
>
> Registered mail is used to insure the receipt of mail by the
> recipient.   This is usually done with items of importance
> like suits,
> invoices, payments, etc., to insure the contents were
> received by the
> recipient.

Which is EXACTLY why it's so impressive to the NON-technical people
at an ISP.  Hey, someone spent some REAL MONEY to contact the
network admin, maybe I better start paying attention when he keeps
telling me I got to spend more money on upgraded equipment to
support IPv6.

> attempt at
> an explanation. However, frankly after that comic book, I've
> about had
> it with the bs and waste.

Hey, the comic book was cool!  Don't go dissin the comic book!

Ted