[arin-discuss] SPAM-WARN:Re: [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Ron Cleven Ron at Cleven.com
Wed Oct 10 16:53:57 EDT 2007

Mike,

Thanks for "doing the math".  Yes, we are a small ISP and we have
frequently had to compete with the "big guys" who play fast and loose
with their IP addresses in order to kill competition.  When we first
started, we were using IP space provided by our upstream providers.
When we finally reached a large enough size such that we needed our own
ARIN allocation, it took MONTHS to get our upstream providers to reclaim
our old IP addresses.  One of them couldn't even tell us what their
process was to do so.  While that is anecdotal, it fairly illustrates
how large players do not bother to conserve IPV4 space.  If they were
paying for it, you can be sure they would.

I am really bummed that these basic mathematical principles and the
basic laws of economics seem lost on many of the contributors to this
discussion.  I assume the vocal ones are protecting their own legacy
turf or their own position as large entrenched ISP's (or perhaps they
simply have lots of IP's and they don't feel like properly organizing
their networks).  It would be interesting to have full disclosure in
that regard.

Thanks again,

Ron