[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Ron Cleven Ron at Cleven.com
Wed Oct 10 17:14:48 EDT 2007

>>So, MIT needs all this IP space to run a REALLLLLLLY big ISP at some
>>time in the future?  That makes sense.
>

> That's _entirely_ up to MIT. That's the point that you seem to not get.
> That's what it means to have unencumbered rights.

How about that!  If you Google "red herring", you will, amazingly, find
your description of MIT's ISP plans.  I stand corrected.

>>I must have missed that clause about IP space in my constitutional
>>studies.
>

> I'm not certain about the formulation Mr. Ryan was referring to.
> However, I'd guess the government probably can't pass an ex-post-facto
> law to remove a permanent license previously granted by the government.
> But it was Mr. Ryan that noted this is probably not constitutional, not
> me. Why it isn't constitutional is not really my argument or my
> expertise.

It is really handy that you conveniently ignore the
plain-as-the-nose-on-your-face benefit of per-IP ARIN fees in your
decision made last century that did not take into account the growth of
the Internet.  How could those visionaries in Congress who now take
credit for the Internet not have seen that one coming?

So you are now saying that the consitutional argument is not really your
argument?   I guess that means you don't have to defend it, but you can
still quote it when it serves your purpose?  I get it now.