[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Oct 8 19:09:00 EDT 2007

This disingenuous story ignores the real issue.

The rest of the IPv4 world has been out there doing their thing - and their
thing involved watching out for your interests.  If they hadn't
been doing this, your block could have likely been routed by someone else
somewhere else and you would have lost the use of it.  I'm sure if that
happened you would have suddenly 'discovered' ARIN real fast.

Now, nobody so far is coming after you for your /24.  It is small.  And of
no real use to affect IPv4 runout rates.  Because of this, your ARIN
experience
really has no bearing on the issue.

The real issue is threefold:

1) Is there enough unused IPv4 in large legacy holders to make a difference
in
IPv4 runout rates?

2) If there is, should ARIN spend time attempting to retrieve it?

3) If ARIN should, is it even possible to go about doing so without creating
undesirable side effects?

All 3 of these questions are tied up with each other, and if the answer to
any
of them is NO then the entire issue is moot.

There is no point in putting a lot of effort into answering #1 if the answer
#3 is a no.  Same goes for vis-versa.  Same goes for question #2.

This thread was discussing #3 and your saying not to discuss that but
instead to
discuss question #1.  Of course, if the thread actually did start discussing
you would probably say there is no point in discussing #1 if we don't
discuss #3
first.

Any question is equally valid to discuss "first" as ultimately they are all
part
of the same issue.

Ted