[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Mon Oct 8 16:11:52 EDT 2007

Who has an "obligation" to pay for what?

As a legacy address holder (our /24 was allocated in 1991), I've mostly
ignored ARIN, except for a couple of POC updates.

Until last spring when I received an invitation to join the Public
Policy Mailing List, I had received no communication from ARIN outside
of the POC updates. So, ARIN has mostly ignored me.

Much of the discussion of the "Counsel statement on Legacy assignments"
assumes that legacy address holders have not been paying their fair
share of something.  However, I have never received any communication
from ARIN inviting me to pay for something relative my legacy address.

So, as far as I can tell, I've paid everything that ARIN has ever asked.

Take a look at the ARIN web page.  What there gives information to
legacy address holders on what and why they should pay ARIN?

So, before spending a lot of time discussing whether or not ARIN has the
legal or moral right to stop providing services to legacy address
holders who haven't done something, ARIN needs to define what it wants
from legacy address holders and put in place the process and
documentation to allow legacy address holders to respond.

Keith

Keith W. Hare                     JCC Consulting, Inc.
keith at jcc.com                     600 Newark Road
Phone: 740-587-0157               P.O. Box 381
Fax: 740-587-0163                 Granville, Ohio 43023
http://www.jcc.com                USA