[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Oct 8 20:38:29 EDT 2007

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> This disingenuous story ignores the real issue.

Hardly disingenuous. I think it mirrors a large number of Legacy
experiences.

> The rest of the IPv4 world has been out there doing their thing - and
> their thing involved watching out for your interests.  If they hadn't
> been doing this, your block could have likely been routed by someone
> else somewhere else and you would have lost the use of it.  I'm sure
> if that happened you would have suddenly 'discovered' ARIN real fast.

You've been watching out for Legacy interests?  I don't think so.
Legacy's made this sandbox. You are the one playing in _our_ sandbox,
with toys that _we_ made.

Legacy's haven't just 'discovered ARIN'. We've always known who ARIN
was, who the Internic was before that, and SRI before that. I think
you've taken some comments a little too literally. It is true that
Legacy's haven't been participating in ARIN, and so people like you have
been bashing Legacy's with little rebuttal. But not knowing who ARIN is?
Or where to change registration information?  Please. Legacy's know
exactly who to come to if someone changed the registry improperly.

> Now, nobody so far is coming after you for your /24.  It is small.
> And of no real use to affect IPv4 runout rates.  Because of this, your
> ARIN experience really has no bearing on the issue.

Come after someone?  You need some legal basis to 'come after' someone.

ARIN's Counsel doesn't even know if an Act of Congress can take these
resources away.

Taking away just reverse DNS and electronic whois, but keeping
registrations as-is, isn't going to fly.  Those are the only 'free
services' that ARIN provides. BTW, even if Sprunk were right and ARIN
didn't have obligation to provide those services, that still wouldn't
fly:  Non-legacy's want to see reverse DNS for Legacy's and they want to
see whois data for Legacy's.  These are just dumb ideas and stupid
schemes.

> The real issue is threefold:
>
> 1) Is there enough unused IPv4 in large legacy holders to make a
> difference in IPv4 runout rates?
>
> 2) If there is, should ARIN spend time attempting to retrieve it?
>
> 3) If ARIN should, is it even possible to go about doing so without creating
> undesirable side effects?

This list is _your_ interest in trying to unlawfully take these
resources for your own benefit.

Standing against your scheme is the fact that it isn't legal. Legacy's
have as much right to monetize these resources as you do.  MIT has the
same right as British Telecom to monetize IP resources.  Legacy's have
more right, if one could possibly have more right.

		--Dean

617 344 9000