[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacy assignments?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Oct 8 11:36:54 EDT 2007

At 11:15 AM -0400 10/8/07, Dean Anderson wrote:
>Actually, at the meeting he said that the law permitted one to deny free
>services to those _without_an_agreement_. This is a general principle
>true for any business.  However, Legacy's _do_ have an agreement with
>the government. So this general principle is not true with respect to
>ARIN Legacy's.
>
>If fact, no statement was made specifically about Legacy's _with_ an
>agreement during the meeting.  I know of no Legacy holders that do not
>have an agreement.  Do you know of any such holders without agreements?

The vast majority of legacy holders do not have an agreement with
ARIN (which is the provider of these services and the context of his
statement).

> > Whether that was a clear, definitive, or formal statement for your
>> purposes I do not know, as it pertains specifically to the obligation
>> of providing of "free" registry services, and it was made before the
>> participants of our public policy meeting.
>
>You said that you had asked Counsel to prepare a formal statement. Where
>is that statement?  Whenever I have made request for _formal_ opinion
>from Counsel, I get a written legal opinion with lots of citations.

I stand corrected, as I noted earlier.  I made a request to counsel to
address the matter at the policy meeting meeting panel on legacy
address space.

/John