[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacyassignments?(fwd)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 5 12:45:13 EDT 2007

> For example, if we were able to extend our block, (assuming no one is
> above us or below us) we would easily pay less than if we just bought
> another /20.   I think the fee structure charges more to increase
> your allocation, when you cannot increase the netblock you are in
> because, again, someone is in the space below you, or above you.

This is not true.  The cost of two separate /20s is the same as a /19
under the ISP rules.  The prices are based on the aggregate sum of
all your address spaces, not each individual allocation (assuming all
allocations are under the same ORG).

If you have two /20s, then, for billing purposes, you are a /19 and you
would pay the /19 price.

> I'd like to be able to increase to say, a /19 from a /20 and pay the /
> 19 price, but I cannot do that.. Does that make sense?  It would be
> nice if there were some way to increase our network allocation,
> outside of our own allocation but still pay the same rate based on
> the TOTAL allocation... If that makes sense..

That is exactly how it works.

> Also, from a cash flow perspective, I would rather pay MONTHLY, than
> annually.. It would make it much easier for us and other ISP's from a
> cash flow perspective to charge out our IP services on monthly
> basis.  We could then better justify buying a larger allocation, and
> in the long run, save money, but buying more for less.

You are not BUYING an allocation.  You are paying for a registration
service.  In terms of managing the cash flow, get a small loan to pay
your ARIN fees and then make monthly payments on the loan and
you have the same cash flow. I don't think that I want to see the very
small staff at ARIN tied up managing monthly instead of annual
bills or a mixture of customers who prefer different billing cycles.

Would you want to pay for the additional headcount at ARIN to support
such a thing in order to get monthly bills?

Owen