[arin-discuss] [ppml] Counsel statement on Legacyassignments?(fwd)

Jeremy Anthony Kinsey jer at mia.net
Fri Oct 5 12:33:37 EDT 2007

On Oct 5, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Howard, W. Lee wrote:

> It concerns me that getting space is like pulling teeth.  Can
> you suggest things ARIN should do differently?

I did not mean to segway the discussion.. My comment is directed more
so at the work involved in generating enough of an illustration of
network utilization.  Couple this with the fact that everyone has to
fudge a bit else we would all run out of space before we received a
new allocation.  I think way too much emphasis is still put on this
false idea that we are running out of, or will run out of IP space;
much was the case in the past.

It's not impossible.. But it is not a pleasant exercise in time spent
by a person in our employment...   Anyway,  I digress.. I really do
not want to distract from the original point at hand, which is, some
of us are not being treated equally...

>> Our initial
>> allotment is too small IMO, and to get more, frankly, is just
>> not cost affective for us.  It is really disturbing; the wide
>> range of price bias across the IP spectrum.
>
> What would you suggest.  I'm especially interested in what
> the theoretical basis for a fee structure should be.

The difficulty we have/had in the past is that in order to justify
our initial allocation, IMO, I think we were forced to be way too
conservative.  That said, the allocation we have at present is not
cost affect, when compared to a much larger allocation.  That said,
the only way for us to see a level pricing structure with regards to
an increased allocation, is to move out of our current allocation.

For example, if we were able to extend our block, (assuming no one is
above us or below us) we would easily pay less than if we just bought
another /20.   I think the fee structure charges more to increase
your allocation, when you cannot increase the netblock you are in
because, again, someone is in the space below you, or above you.

I'd like to be able to increase to say, a /19 from a /20 and pay the /
19 price, but I cannot do that.. Does that make sense?  It would be
nice if there were some way to increase our network allocation,
outside of our own allocation but still pay the same rate based on
the TOTAL allocation... If that makes sense..

Also, from a cash flow perspective, I would rather pay MONTHLY, than
annually.. It would make it much easier for us and other ISP's from a
cash flow perspective to charge out our IP services on monthly
basis.  We could then better justify buying a larger allocation, and
in the long run, save money, but buying more for less.

> You can name names to ARIN staff at hostmaster at arin.net.
> You may not hear anything back, to maintain NDA agreements.

I'd rather not.. For one, it is blatantly obvious, for another, I
really do not see that as being very productive.. I am of the opinion
that the old rules were based on a belief that we would run out of IP
space.. Since that was never, and is not the case, I think that the
IP Justification sheets most of us use should be modified to reflect
this fact.

> Definitely.  Most of the staff read PPML, and all of the Board
> members and Advisory Council.

I'm sure you all do, and you do a great job!  This is probably the
busiest I have ever seen this list...

> I'm the Treasurer and a Board member, so I'd like to heard more
> detail about what should be done differently.

Thank you for listening..

Regards,
Jeremy Anthony Kinsey
  e-mail: jer at mia.net