consistancy

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Sun Sep 17 13:54:27 EDT 2000

Mury wrote:

> This might sound like nit-picking, but I think it's an important issue to
> figure out before I "petition" IANA/ICANN with the below request.  Does
> ARIN want to be given authority to oversee those blocks?  I certainly
> don't want to ask for something to be given to ARIN that ARIN doesn't
> want.
>
> Perhaps if the AC, the membership, or whoever needs to, can decide on that
> first, then ARIN as well as concerned individuals can approach IANA/ICANN
> with the suggestion/request.
>
> If ARIN doesn't want the be given that authority, then as a concerned
> Internet citizen I'll ask them to do it themselves.  While it seems that
> the RIRs are all setup to be able to deal with the process for accounting
> for legacy space, maybe a new ASO (Since it probably isn't regional)
> should be created for dealing with the unique issues that reclaiming will
> probably have.
>
> So, should ARIN (RIRs) have the authority and does it want it?

That's actually a very good question, and one that should certainly be
discussed by various involved parties (membership, AC and the BoT), since it
such reclamation will consume ARIN resources.

Alec

Alec H. Peterson - ahp at hilander.com
Staff Scientist
CenterGate Research Group - http://www.centergate.com
"Technology so advanced, even _we_ don't understand it!"