consistancy

Mury mury at goldengate.net
Sun Sep 17 14:51:45 EDT 2000

Hold the fort!

I've taken some time to try to understand the authority and the role of
ARIN in relation to ICANN instead of taking some people's word for it.

Here is a summary of what I found on ICANN's site.  I have pasted the text
from http://www.aso.icann.org/docs/aso-mou.html further down as a
reference.

1)  The ICANN bylaws assign to the ASO (which ARIN is) the responsibility
for the development of global policies relating to the definition of
global policies for the distribution and registration of Internet address
space (currently IPv4 and IPv6);

2)  Normally, proposals for global policies within the area of the ASO's
responsibility will be developed within the RIRs and forwarded to the
Address Council for their consideration.

3)  In addition the Address Council may accept, for consideration,
proposals for changes to global IP address policy from any interested
individual or entity.

Doesn't this sound like it is ARIN's responsibilty to develop policies and
not ICANNs?  It sure reads like ICANN has given ARIN not just the
authority, but the responsibility to create *global* policies for
registration of address space.  There are no conditions listed, no
exceptions.

What am I not understanding?

Unless I'm badly mistaken in my understanding of a RIR's role as defined
by ICANN, I would like to suggest that ARIN and it's decision making
bodies consider creating policies for reclaiming largely unused legacy
address space.

What I do not know is if this has already been done and rejected by ICANN.
If so, I would like to see copies of the rejection so I can approach ICANN
as a concerned citizen.

Thank you.

Mury
GoldenGate Internet Services

(4) Duties of the Address Council.

(a) Advisory Role. The Address Council will advise the Board of ICANN on
matters referred to the Address Council by the ICANN Board.

(b) Policy Development.

The ICANN bylaws assign to the ASO the responsibility for the
development of global policies relating to the following areas:

                  (i) Definition of global policies for the distribution
		  and registration of
                  Internet address space (currently IPv4 and IPv6);

                  (ii) Definition of global policies for the distribution
		  and registration of
                  identifiers used in Internet inter-domain routing
		  (currently BGP autonomous system numbers); and

                  (iii) Definition of global policies concerning the part
		  of the DNS name
                  space which is derived from the Internet address space
		  and the
                  inter-domain routing identifiers (currently in-addr.arpa
		  and ip6.int).

<snip>

Normally, proposals for global policies within the area of the ASO's
responsibility will be developed within the RIRs and forwarded to the
Address Council for their consideration. In special circumstances the
ICANN board can forward a request to develop a new global policy or to
review an existing global policy within the area of the ASO's
responsibility to the Address Council.

In addition the Address Council may accept, for consideration, proposals
for changes to global IP address policy from any interested individual or
entity.

In all cases when the Address Council reviews a proposal for new global
policies or a proposed modification to existing policies in this area it
will first solicit the opinions of all of the RIR signatories of the MOU
and of the public. The Address Council will weigh the results of these
solicitations in its deliberations to determine if it will approve the
proposal. At least two thirds of the members of the Address Council must
support a proposal for the proposal to be accepted and forwarded to the
ICANN board for its consideration.

In any case where the ICANN board has requested that the Address Council
develop a new policy within the area of the ASO's responsibility, the
Address Council will forward that request to the RIR signatories of the
MOU. The RIRs will then be given a reasonable time to propose policies to
address the request from ICANN. Any resulting policy will be evaluated as
described above. If an RIR decides, after reviewing the request, that the
request is unreasonable, it can report that opinion to the Address
Council. If the Address Council, after reviewing the responses, decides
that the request is unreasonable or inadvisable, it can report that
opinion to the ICANN board along with the reasons that the Address Council
reached that conclusion.