split b

Jeremy Porter jerry at fc.net
Tue Jun 6 00:28:44 EDT 2000

In message <200006051737.KAA02756 at vacation.karoshi.com>, bmanning at vacation.karo
shi.com writes:
>> The problem becomes then, assuming ARIN did approve the rejustification,
>> that there is no mechanism at ARIN or elsewhere to provide notifications
>> of current "delegation models" which inidicate what size blocks are
>> allocated out of what size ranges.  ARIN does operate a Routing Registry
>> in which this information could be stored programaticlly which could
>> be queried programaticly or manually to check BGP announcements v.
>> RIR assignment or allocation.
>
>	ARINs use of registry technology post-dates this split.
>	One presumes that Mr. Bush pulled the relevent information
>	from the ARIN routing registry via whois.

ARIN's use of "registry technology" i.e. the whois database?  Their
impelementation of a routing registry post dates it, but whois has been
around for quite a while.  I was only suggesting that a techical solution
utilizing the ARIN Routing Registry might allow Randy to accomplish
what he wants while allowing for a programatic way to generate his
filters, as opposed to periodic emails from the various RIR with the
lists of what is allocated where.

>> I believe Randy is correct in his opinion that no policy decision was
>> made with regard to making assignments out of "Classic B Space" of a
>> prefix size of /17.  (Which is what happened).  However it seems clear
>> to me that ARIN polices and guidelines allow for this to happen
>> under the circumstances described.  Thus it is important that
>> we take this into consideration.
>
>	Well, I beg to differ. A policy decision was made and the
>	split was done. This may have been done as a "one-off" but
>	it does provide a prior-use argument for future splits
>	to occur. I agree that existant ARIN policy (as I understand it)
>	will allow such splits to occur. Perhaps ISPs would begin
>	to realize that a blanket summarization of filtering is prone
>	to many errors, esp. due to historical delegations and policy
>	considerations that are now OBE but have been grandfathered in.

A policy decision here would imply that the ARIN Advisory Council voted
on this, and I don't recall any such vote.  The ARIN AC is specificly
empowered to do this, but then we agree that we don't see any
specific reason that would prevent this from reoccuring, and
my suggestion of using the routing registries, or dns, or any
such online database to store the policy info, would enable Randy
and others to setup their filters in a way that reflects actual policy
as opposed to blacket summarization which is prone to "error".

I don't see this has a precedent for any "grandfathered" allocations.
The only thing that has been grandfathered is the specific assignment
was not required to be re-justified, until the split.

I hate to say it Bill, but your agenda seems to be leaking through
at least as much as Randy's.

--- jerry at fc.net
Director Network Operations/Network Engineering, Wayport, Inc.
512-519-6193 www.wayport.net
8303 Mopac Expressway Suite A300, Austin Tx.