split b

Andy Dills andy at XECU.NET
Mon Jun 5 14:19:05 EDT 2000

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Kim Hubbard wrote:

> I'm personally looking at this differently.  If organizations want their
> Class B's split in our database knowing they may be filtered than that's
> their business.  As Randy said, the organizations in question agreed to
> work out the specifics so filtering wasn't suppose to be an issue for them.
> I don't necessarily believe that we should (based on this one instance)
> move to make a formal policy change wherin ISPs would feel compelled to
> change their filtering policies....again.

I understand the historical reasons for filtering routers based on prefix
and prefix length, but I can't figure out why this is still a common
practice. I'm not even convinced it is a common practice any more.

So, why would it be in a network's best interest to filter based on
prefix/prefix length?

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access