split b

Kim Hubbard kimh at arin.net
Mon Jun 5 13:54:34 EDT 2000

At 10:37 AM 6/5/00 -0700, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
>> The problem becomes then, assuming ARIN did approve the rejustification,
>> that there is no mechanism at ARIN or elsewhere to provide notifications
>> of current "delegation models" which inidicate what size blocks are
>> allocated out of what size ranges.  ARIN does operate a Routing Registry
>> in which this information could be stored programaticlly which could
>> be queried programaticly or manually to check BGP announcements v.
>> RIR assignment or allocation.
>
>	ARINs use of registry technology post-dates this split.
>	One presumes that Mr. Bush pulled the relevent information
>	from the ARIN routing registry via whois.
>
>> I believe Randy is correct in his opinion that no policy decision was
>> made with regard to making assignments out of "Classic B Space" of a
>> prefix size of /17.  (Which is what happened).  However it seems clear
>> to me that ARIN polices and guidelines allow for this to happen
>> under the circumstances described.  Thus it is important that
>> we take this into consideration.
>
>	Well, I beg to differ. A policy decision was made and the
>	split was done. This may have been done as a "one-off" but
>	it does provide a prior-use argument for future splits
>	to occur. I agree that existant ARIN policy (as I understand it)
>	will allow such splits to occur. Perhaps ISPs would begin
>	to realize that a blanket summarization of filtering is prone
>	to many errors, esp. due to historical delegations and policy
>	considerations that are now OBE but have been grandfathered in.

I'm personally looking at this differently.  If organizations want their
Class B's split in our database knowing they may be filtered than that's
their business.  As Randy said, the organizations in question agreed to
work out the specifics so filtering wasn't suppose to be an issue for them.
I don't necessarily believe that we should (based on this one instance)
move to make a formal policy change wherin ISPs would feel compelled to
change their filtering policies....again.

Kim