route filtering policies (from "split b" thread)

Hostmaster, Verant hostmaster at verant.com
Mon Jun 5 13:19:47 EDT 2000

Hello.  I'm very interested in learning what are the route filtering
policies of the larger ISPs.  We're architecting our /18 now, and concerned
that some of our smaller announcements (/22 or perhaps as small as /24)
might not get carried throughout the entire Internet.  What I would
appreciate is that anyone on this list who restricts their learned routes to
prefixes shorter than /24s please let me know what your policies are.

Is there a standard that most adhere to?  I am reading about "rirs" in
Randy's below email.. what were rirs' allocation policies?

We've recently discovered one large ISP blocking /23s and /24s from 24.*.*.*
, since it is a classic class "A".  After a few days of grief, they finally
realized that since 24.*.*.* had been chopped up and given to cablemodem
providers, it has announcements that small, and they now will accept as
small as /24s coming from 24.*.*.*.

Our block is 64.37.128.0/18, and I'm concerned that some old filters that
were put in place long ago might harm us, in that 64.*.*.* only recently
started being issued by ARIN, and that technically it is a class "A" block.

----
Dani D. Roisman
Verant Interactive
hostmaster at verant.com