[ARIN-consult] Reminder - Consultation on ARIN’s Membership Structure

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Nov 7 06:24:17 EST 2021

On 7 Nov 2021, at 1:07 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com<mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:

On Nov 6, 2021, at 6:57 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net<mailto:jcurran at arin.net>> wrote:

On 6 Nov 2021, at 6:46 PM, Owen DeLong via ARIN-consult <arin-consult at arin.net<mailto:arin-consult at arin.net>> wrote:

From: Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com<mailto:owen at delong.com>>
Subject: Re: [ARIN-consult] Reminder - Consultation on ARIN’s Membership Structure
Date: 6 November 2021 at 6:46:09 PM EDT
To: Paul Andersen - ARIN <paul at arin.net<mailto:paul at arin.net>>
Cc: Scott Leibrand <scottleibrand at gmail.com<mailto:scottleibrand at gmail.com>>, "<arin-consult at arin.net<mailto:arin-consult at arin.net>>" <arin-consult at arin.net<mailto:arin-consult at arin.net>>
Given ARIN’s historically limited ability to reliably contact end user organizations in a verifiable manner, I think that’s a valid concern.

Owen

Owen -

The general case of notification of end-user organizations via obsolete contact information is a valid concern, but is in this particular case the end-user organizations will have just provided updated information (for use as their voting point of contact), so I don’t believe that reliable notification would prove to be an issue.

Color me confused… If they’ve provided a voting contact, then they’ve responded and effectively expressed a designation of someone that they want to vote on their behalf, therefore indicating a desire to vote.

That’s correct - providing a valid voting contact is indeed what an end-user organization will do in order to transition from service member to a general member (thus indicating that they wish to participate in ARIN governance matters.)   It will then be important that they participate in either the 2022 or 2023 election – even if it is to simply to cast a blank or “present” ballot in order to maintain their general member status.

I’m talking about the case for organizations that get a renewal invoice for the new inflated fee and pay it without taking any other action, indicating that it’s not at all unlikely that
the AP department received a pre-approved bill, tossed all the additional matter from the envelope (likely including the envelope) into the round file and paid the bill, never having brought the changes to the attention of anyone who might care about anything beyond paying the bill.

You were postulating the risk of ARIN disenfranchising end-user organizations of their general members status due to our limited ability to contact them reliably – I was simply noting that contact difficulties are most often the result of contact information that hasn’t been updated in years, and is far less likely to be an issue for such end-user organizations as they will have recently provided current contact information in the process of becoming a general member.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO