[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN Fees on January of 2022

Matt Harris matt at netfire.net
Mon May 10 13:08:47 EDT 2021

Matt Harris|Infrastructure Lead
816-256-5446|Direct
Looking for something?
Helpdesk Portal|Email Support|Billing Portal
We build and deliver end-to-end IT solutions.
On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 11:31 AM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> We could lower base fees and charge separately for services that are
> optional but reflect best practices (e.g. this includes not only IPv6, but
> IRR and RPKI) but that doesn’t comport with our mission to support and
> advance the operation of the Internet - we’d effectively be creating a
> disincentive for network operator deployment of practices that many others
> simply consider good manners (e.g. MANRS - https://www.manrs.org/isps/)

I strongly agree with John here, and with the sentiment overall: one of the
best roles an RIR can play in the grander scheme of things is to enable and
never to disincentivize moving forward towards emerging community-accepted
standards and technologies such as embracing IPv6 to deal with IPv4
suffocation, enhancing security by promoting and enabling RPKI deployment,
etc. Let's all work together to make the internet a better place for
everyone.

- Matt