[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN Fees on January of 2022

Lokkak risner at lokkak.com
Tue May 11 14:34:54 EDT 2021

Thank you for your reply.

> To be clear, ARIN operates quite a few services (including publication
> of the registry via Whois and RADP, reverse DNS services, IRR and RPKI
> services) which benefits all customers even when customers are not
> making requests for changes or additional resource

I entirely agree, there are a number of services. Most of those are
directly related to the total number of IP addresses held.

My thinking is to not pick and choose, but there seems to be a
disproportionatly higher portion of the costs placed on the smaller
entities.
As a thought experiment, I pulled a full BGP feed today, did some
calculations to find the total number of routed IP addresses.
If we use a theretical group of 200 entities classified as 3X-Small,
they pay 167 times as much as the cost of the budget divided by the
total routed space. See the photo for more detail and I’ll happily
share the excel sheet if you wish to check my math.

> There may be some confusion here, since the proposed fee change does
> exactly what you ask above - it moves “legacy resource holders to
> the RSP Fee Schedule with the annual cap of total maintenance fees
> increasing $25 per year”

Apologies, I did a poor job with that message. I simply copied the
proposed changes and put my thoughts below.

Put differently, the smaller you are the more your fees contribute to
ARIN’s operating budget. It would be better if there was a flat fee
(say $125) to be a member, and the remaining amount is based on your
share of the adress space you have in the system.

For me with as a 2X-Small, in my suggestion, I’d pay $125 + 1,024 /
4,007,931,638 (routed blocks) * $23,507,000 (budget) = $6.00 or $131.

I have my own reverse DNS (in-addr.arpa. points to my DNS), I’ve only
made a couple requests in 4 years, and I’m not inclined to make
material changes for the next 10 years. However, I’ll see my costs
rise 300% in that decade on a resource that will decrease in value
(becoming more “retro computing”) at the same time.

This line of thinking is why I feel increasing the per change type fees
(such as OrgCreate, OrgRecovery, and Transfer) is an excellent way of
covering operating costs while minimizing costs for small entities with
few IPs and rare support cases.

Risner

![](cid:286703DA-E60E-4418-AFCF-29C9E306D5D6 at lokkak.com
"PastedImage.png")