[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN Fees on January of 2022

Lokkak risner at lokkak.com
Mon May 10 10:14:09 EDT 2021

This is coming from a perspective of a legacy holder, with an ASN, but
no IPv6 address and entirely no desire to obtain IPv6 addresses.

I have /22 of legacy address space, and I plan to maintain them until
such time as they are no longer routable or simply niche of
"retro-computing” routing.

I’ll examine the changes one by one, starting with the transition:
**Transitioning End Users from annual per-resource maintenance fees to
the RSP (Registration Services Plan) Fee Schedule**
	I’d rather not have to migrate the the normal agreement. The included
IPv6 Block Size has zero value to me. In 2017, my blocks were held with
my ISP. I had to sign the LRSA 4.0 to move them into my control when
that ISP closed. I don’t anticipate needing any changes or insuring
any additional resources of ARIN. So the yearly fee of $125 should
handle the limited labor cost my registration has for ARIN.

**Transitioning Legacy resource holders from annual per-resource
maintenance fees to the RSP Fee Schedule while maintaining the annual
cap of total maintenance fees (which will increase $25 per year)**
     For me, the yearly increase in maintenance doesn’t offer me more
value nor help reduce ARIN’s costs. The costs for provide my support
is minimal. It seems to be assuming everyone is taking advantage of IPv6
resources and generating additional ARIN support requirements.

**Providing a temporary IPv6 fee waiver for organizations in the
3X-Small category that desire a larger address block**
     I’d rather see this feature removed and replaced with
transitioning legacy resource holders to the RSP Fee Schedule with the
annual cap of total maintenance fees increasing $25 per year. A pure
legacy holder shouldn’t need to see fees increased, if they are not
using IPv6 addresses.

**Implementing a $100 fee for OrgCreate and OrgRecovery transactions**
     I believe this is an excellent way to recover costs of ARIN
services for legacy holders.

**Increasing the transfer processing fee to $500**
     This is also an excellent way to recover costs. I seem to remember
in 2017, there was a great deal of effort on my part to effect the
transfer. The $500 seems a good initial cost, but if that fee doesn’t
cover the entire costs incurred by ARIN the fee should be sufficient to
cover the costs of the work.

In short, from a perspective of a legacy holder wishing to keep my
addresses and not look to the future, this agreement serves me poorly. I
beg you to tailor this agreement to the two audiences. One like me and
another for those wishing to embrace IPv6 and other services ARIN
provide in a more à la carte way.

James Risner
Org Hanfle: LL-561-Z