[ARIN-consult] FW: Consultation on Implementing Term Limits for the ARIN Board of Trustees

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Dec 1 21:10:19 EST 2021

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 5:24 PM Adam Thompson <athompso at athompso.net> wrote:
> Bill, my understanding (well, more along the lines of "received knowledge", tbh) is that the current board does include some people with technical knowledge connected to the internet, but zero or nearly-zero persons with (recent) operational experience in operating a network.  I have not personally verified this information - no insult is intended here!

Hi Adam,

I don't think board members need to be active network engineers. I'm
not currently myself but I've built plenty of relevant domain
experience over the years. I do think board members should have spent
some time in their lives living and breathing IP addresses in a
technical role.

I should mention that I haven't made up my mind on term limits. I'm
just responding to the diversity question.

I would suggest, however, that there's one board member whose term is
not readily limited: John Curran. Limiting the rest of the board would
tend to shift more governance power towards the ARIN President and
CEO.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--