[ARIN-consult] Consultation on ARIN Fees

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Apr 12 14:42:40 EDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 8:18 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On 9 Apr 2021, at 7:47 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 3:38 PM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>

>>     * Transitioning Legacy resource holders from annual per-resource
>> maintenance fees to the RSP Fee Schedule while maintaining the annual cap
>> of total maintenance fees (which will increase $25 per year)
>>

> As an example, to clarify the intent here, let's say a Legacy resource
> holder's total IPv4 holdings place it in the Large Catagory, which is
> Larger than /16, up to and including /14 of IPv4. In this example, the
> Legacy resource holder's 2021 fees are $150, 2022 fees will be $175, 2023
> fees will be $200, etc... Basically, increasing by $25 each year for
> theoretically the next three (3) centuries and change, at which point the
> annual fee will eventually reach $8,000.
>
> Do I understand the intent correctly?
>

> Yes - that is correct.

To follow up on my question during the presentation today, as part of ARIN
47; (text of the questions has been corrected below)

If a Legacy holder was willing to accelerate their true-up, is ARIN willing
to negotiate on this issue, without jumping straight to the final result in
one year?

To expand a bit, I would like to suggest ARIN offer an option for an
accelerated true-up, maybe over something like 5 - 10 years instead of 1
year, in the case of direct conversion, or 300+ years, that the current $25
a year increase represents for a Large Catagory Legacy Holder.

In the case of the Large Catagory Legacy Holder example above, a 300+ year
true-up is kind of laughable and not very equitable in one direction, but
neither is more than a 5000% increase in one year a
very equitable alternative.

Thanks
David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952