[ARIN-consult] ACSP Consultation: Deleting Aged Report Request Tickets

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Jul 1 10:25:00 EDT 2019

On 1 Jul 2019, at 10:11 AM, Adam Thompson <athompso at athompso.net<mailto:athompso at athompso.net>> wrote:

As an alternate suggestion, I don't see any problem with moving those records out of the mainline UI onto another page and into another database.

Acknowledged.

Like many others here, though, I'm puzzled at how a modern database system could be this badly hobbled (in an apparently-intractable way) by mere millions of tickets.

The ARIN Online system handles these tickets now quite capably, but staff prepared the suggestion because it is clear that the system performance could be even better if we did not have infinite retention on tickets which are created solely for report generation.   Users can run these reports at any time to obtain such information if they desire it.

Again, the only reason these tickets exist is that the time to go through the entire registry history and generate historical reports is significant and thus not real-time – if information had been available instantly, then we would have instead had it displayed directly on the screen and there never would have been any “report ticket" generated in the first place.   Given that ARIN Online creates such “report tickets” on the users behalf (and the questionable value of the report output months later), it was felt best to assign an expiration on the these ticket types.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO