[ARIN-consult] Community Consultation on CKN23-ARIN Now Open

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Mar 30 12:55:11 EDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 12:15 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On 30 Mar 2017, at 12:00 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 10:53 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
>> Does this answer your question, or did I miss it?
>>

> Thanks John,
>
> You answered part of it: as long as the POCs have been maintained with
> reachable email, phone and postal addresses, all is well.
>
> What happens if the POC falls out of date and line 5b (or 4b as it was on
> some versions) on the original registration was essentially a fictitious
> name which served as an alias for the individual making the registration?
> Cases where the 5b name does not and never did exist as an independent
> legal entity? Or as Steven described, a like-named organization exists
> today but did not then and has no connection to the number resource?
>

> They are the problematic cases, as we definitely do not want to deprive
> the original registrant
> (or their legal successor) of rights to their number resources, but must
> take great care to avoid
> facilitating a party which looks quite similar from posing as the original
> registrant and hijacking
> those same rights.
>
> In those situations, how does ARIN go about making the determination that
> the guy presenting himself is the guy who registered the resources, is in
> actual fact the registrant and has the authority to make updates?
>

> Very carefully…
>
> (Apologies for not getting into more detail, but by definition such
> information would provide a
> playbook for those who have nefarious intent.)

Thanks John. You answered my underlying question which is that ARIN
addresses and will continue to address these situations in the registrant's
favor regardless of what happens with the CKN23-ARIN handle.

Regarding the question the consultation asks, I lean towards option 3, but
I don't think it's appropriate to present an abuse POC that ARIN deems
unvalidated. You're sorta signing people up for unsolicited email for which
they don't necessarily have a simple way to opt out let alone opt in.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>