[ARIN-consult] Community Consultation on CKN23-ARIN Now Open

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Mar 30 10:53:11 EDT 2017

On 30 Mar 2017, at 9:53 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us<mailto:bill at herrin.us>> wrote:

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 5:44 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net<mailto:jcurran at arin.net>> wrote:
  Evidence that the party is a valid representative to the organization that was issued
  the number resources, or its legal successor.

Hi John,

Out of curiosity: how is ARIN dealing with "organizations" which were and are an unregistered alias of the original individual registrant without any severable legal existence? The discussion I see here seems to presume characteristics of the legacy registrations that were not formalized or enforced until after ARIN's creation.

Bill -

   You may have to elaborate on your question, but I’ll answer as best I can based
   on my understanding of your query.

   Early IP address applicants were asked for "the responsible organization
   establishing the network” (generally question 5b on most versions of the
   INTERNET-NUMBER-TEMPLATE.TXT)   While tthe responsible organization
   did not have to be a legal entity, it is clear that networks had organizations
   were responsible for the establishment of networks and the request for
   associated IP address space.

   If a legacy registrant is making use of their original contact and email address,
   then they should have no difficulty updating their name servers, etc.   If they
   are no longer clearly associated and assert that they hold the rights to the
   address block, then we seek some form of documentation which supports that
   assertion.   (Obviously the most problematic situations are those in which the
   original organization still exists and the requester asserts that they hold the rights
   not the organization on the record - in such cases ARIN needs to be certain that
   we’re not harming the organization by approving the requesters  change and
   disassociating the original organization from the address block.)

Does this answer your question, or did I miss it?
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN