[ARIN-consult] Community Consultation on CKN23-ARIN Now Open

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Mar 29 07:05:20 EDT 2017

On 28 Mar 2017, at 8:04 PM, Steve Noble <snoble at sonn.com<mailto:snoble at sonn.com>> wrote:

Hi John,

On Mar 28, 2017 3:22 PM, "John Curran" <jcurran at arin.net<mailto:jcurran at arin.net>> wrote:

Steve -

    If we do not lock the resources but do add the old network Admin/Tech contact info to
    the organization record, then a very large number of these blocks have the potential to
    be readily hijacked – one simply would have to register the domain name and setup
    email for any defunct organization, and you could readily transfer the addresses
    (despite having no association whatsoever with the original registrant…)

    Some in the community would view that consequence as an unacceptable tradeoff –
    what is your thoughts on it?

I think it is logical to lock ones where the original domain does not exist or was registered after the object. Then I understand a more extensive vetting process.

My issue is with cases like mine where everything was in order.

Steve -

Acknowledged, and thanks for the excellent feedback.

Given that all of these organization records are currently subject to vetting (and
would remain so under the proposed change to put the Tech and Admin contacts
onto the Org record), it would be helpful to get some additional feedback from you.

If the vetting scope is not changed per the proposed change to the registry that is now
under consultation, would you prefer that the registry remain as-is, or that we proceed
with putting the original network Tech and Admin contacts on the Org records as
proposed?

Thanks!
/John

John Curran