[ARIN-consult] Reminder: Consultation on Increasing the size of the ARIN Board of Trustees

Jason Schiller jschiller at google.com
Fri Jun 2 10:39:52 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 6:49 PM, Rob Seastrom <rs at seastrom.com> wrote:

> I am neither in favor of nor opposed to the restrictions/carve-outs that
Jason suggests,
> but will observe that they may be one effective tool among many that the
Board or NomCom
> may bring to bear.

For the record,I am neither in favor nor opposed to the specific
restrictions/carve-outs that
I suggested.  I am strongly in favor of adding new Board seats if they have
some sort of
restrictions/carve-outs.  I gave some examples that came to mind to spur
discussion about
the general need for some specific restrictions/carve-outs and hope the
discussion will shift
to what restrictions would be desired prior to deciding to enlarge the
board.

I thank RS for pointing out that there are other ways to address diversity
such as the fellowship.
I had not considered the importance of encouraging greater diversity in
general participation,
but now see it is at least as important for sake of diversity of
participation, and probably
even more important as Bill points out.  (Also of note, it would likely
also support greater
diversity of qualified board candidates).

I strongly support efforts to increase diversity of participation.

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:

> > On Jun 2, 2017, at 1:49 AM, Rob Seastrom <rs at seastrom.com> wrote:
>
> > I am neither in favor of nor opposed to the restrictions/carve-outs that
> Jason suggests, but will observe that they may be one effective tool among
> many that the Board or NomCom may bring to bear.
>
> Yes.  But as I’ve explained before, regional representation is done by
> categorizing _voters_, not _candidates_.
>
> One way to achieve regional representation by categorizing _voters_ is to
limit the voting
for a particular seat to a geographical segment of the membership.

Another way to achieve regional representation by categorizing _voters_ is
to limit the
selection of the candidate slate for a particular seat to a geographical
segment of the
community, and have the entire membership vote.

You can of course also categorize the candidates and only permit a certain
type of
candidate for a particular seat.

I do not have strong preference for one approach over another, and would
prefer
whichever approach provides the best mix of diversity and qualified Board
members.

As Bill points out categorizing _candidates_ may make sense in some cases
such as gender diversity.

__Jason