[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Transfer Fees Now Open

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Wed Sep 7 12:34:36 EDT 2016

> On Sep 7, 2016, at 11:44, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com> wrote:
>
> I am not sure where I stand on this fee in general...
>
> If there is a fee, I do not oppose have a reduced fee for "small"
> organizations in order to avoid a processing fee that is a large
> portion of the transaction.
>
> I do however oppose a percentage based fee, which may make it more
> difficult to calculate and plan for budgets.

A budget is a bucket of top and bottom line costs e.g. "IPv4 Addresses and Related Expense". I'm at a loss to explain how a commodity with a variable price is easier to budget for than a transaction fee in the range of (example) 0.0000002% per party per transaction.

I wouldn't be supporting (this type) a fee if I didn't believe it was equitable and was more negligible overall. I believe what's good for smaller parties in this market is also good for the larger ones.

John: There are a number of examples of percentage based fees that also fit the mold like an income tax, excise tax on value, etc.

Regardless, it's coming from benefits of the sale in one way or another and ARIN shouldn't be shy at all about cost recovery from those parties involved in address transactions.

YMMV, and best,

-M<