[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Transfer Fees Now Open

Hannigan, Martin marty at akamai.com
Tue Sep 6 17:38:41 EDT 2016

On Sep 6, 2016, at 17:24, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com<mailto:mike at iptrading.com>> wrote:

Hi John,

In that case I would like to suggest indexing the transfer fee to the size of the block transferred.
Perhaps the algorithm for this indexing could be adjusted to yield 1.33 times current transfer fee revenue.
In this way we don't have to make transfer fees payable upfront and non-refundable.

A % would work and be fair.  It also supports aggregation if applied per block -and split net neutral.

It will be harder for us brokers to get sellers to fork over a non-refundable transfer fee, since the transfer failure could easily be the fault of the buyer, and what seller wants to risk $500 in that case? Buyer may or may not be able to justify, should the seller be financing the buyer's justification test?

Split fees align interests here too.

When we brokers get the buyer to pay all transfer fees, he might cavil over the fact that the failure cause could be the seller. Maybe the seller is just using the buyer to finance his quest to get ARIN to recognize his rights?

[..]

Yes, buyers can get pre-authorized, and sellers can get pre-authorized for $100, so there are workarounds. But in general I am against this change to non-refundable fees, and would prefer any shortfall to come from higher fees on larger blocks.

Shouldn't "everyone" be able to "reasonably" ascertain chain of custody pre charge? Brokers could charge research fees and alleviate the members from wasted time.

I also think that overall it is more fair to charge more for larger block transfers, even when the staff time is similar.

%, net neutral split, fairness, alignment.

$0.02

Best,

Marty