[ARIN-consult] Consultation on Transfer Fees Now Open

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Sep 7 06:41:45 EDT 2016

On Sep 6, 2016, at 5:38 PM, Hannigan, Martin <marty at akamai.com<mailto:marty at akamai.com>> wrote:
On Sep 6, 2016, at 17:24, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com<mailto:mike at iptrading.com>> wrote:

Hi John,

In that case I would like to suggest indexing the transfer fee to the size of the block transferred.
Perhaps the algorithm for this indexing could be adjusted to yield 1.33 times current transfer fee revenue.
In this way we don’t have to make transfer fees payable upfront and non-refundable.

A % would work and be fair.  It also supports aggregation if applied per block -and split net neutral.

Prorating the transfer fee would is “fair” to the extent that it is deemed
appropriate to change prorated to the value of the transaction to the
parties.  If the goal is recovery based on costs incurred by ARIN, then
flat fees are more fair.

For a real world example, consider processing fees for various auto
and property registration transactions.   Title transfer is generally a
fixed processing fee and not discounted for transfer of less worthy
assets.   (This doesn’t consider that some states _tax_ transactions
in addition and on a percentage basis, but that is an entirely different
aspect.)   States registries generally do flat-rate for transactions because
it is deemed inherently fair based on their processing costs, not because
they intend to discourage the sales of inexpensive automobiles.

If folks want variable fees for different sizes, that can be done;
I would only caution that use of the term “fair’ for describing
such an sized-index fee schedule is quite a subjective matter.

Shouldn't "everyone" be able to "reasonably" ascertain chain of custody pre charge? Brokers could charge research fees and alleviate the members from wasted time.

Most brokers do research these materials, and that speeds up the processing
(since documentation is readily available when ARIN requests such) but that
does not preclude ARIN having to carefully review these materials to confirm
veracity and prevent anyone from hijacking blocks via creative requests...

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO