[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Reminder: Consultation on Registration ServicesAgreement - MORE

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Aug 17 18:02:42 EDT 2015

> On Aug 17, 2015, at 14:45 , John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
> On Aug 17, 2015, at 5:19 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>
>> For the most part, the only time anyone signs ANY RSA is with they are getting additional resources.
>
> To be clear, all parties receiving resources (whether from the ARIN free pool
> or via transfer) are RSA signatories.

Sure, but sometimes there are signatories that are not receiving additional resources (though I doubt this
is likely to have occurred since the current fee structure was put in place).

>> So, in essence, the entire RSA is to sme extent about further ARIN services.
>>
>> If you want more resources from this community, then you should agree that the resources managed under this community
>> framework, then I think it is perfectly reasonable for the community to demand that you acknowledge the relationship not
>> only for the resources you are about to receive, but for the resources you already happen to hold, regardless of how acquired,
>> as well.
>
> For example, that means that presently a party seeking IPv6 resources from ARIN must
> agree to representations with regard to all number resources, including those which they
> obtained prior to ARIN’s formation.   The Board has made plain that providing basic registry
> services for legacy resource holders (despite the lack of such agreements) is within the
> community’s overall interest -  there is obviously a similar tradeoff to be considered with
> respect to seeking acknowledgement of principles for all number resources from those
> requesting IPv6 resources versus making IPv6 number resources more widely available.
>
> (i.e. an excellent topic for community discussion)

Sure… IMHO, the tradeoff in this case should flow more towards requiring an acknowledgement that
all resources are subject to policy whether issued by ARIN or by one of its predecessors.

Clearly Mike and Bill disagree with me. Likely my employer disagrees with me as well, though we
have not yet discussed the matter.

I don’t expect my position to be in the majority, but it is my position.

Owen