[ARIN-consult] Community Consultation on IRR Route Validation. attorney client communication.

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Apr 1 15:14:22 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 02:47:43PM +0000, John Curran wrote:
> How often does that pose a problem when the customers move on
> to another provider?  Is that a minor issue or do we end up with
> outdated cruft in the IRR as a result?

You'll end up with some amount outdated cruft, namely, route: objects
authorizing the previous provider to announce a network in question.

The RIPE DB solves this by permitting the resource holder to always
*delete* a route: object, without authorization by the AS holder
(creation needs authorization by network and AS holder, to avoid
"spamming" someone's filter generation processes by generating tons
of bogus route objects that point to a victim AS).

I see the risk for abuse by this as fairly low, but some sort of garbage
collection process ("dear network holder, we see that you have two
route: objects, one recent one which matches what is in BGP and one
10+ year old one that seems to be stale, please clean up") would be
reasonable to have.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279