[ARIN-consult] Community Consultation on IRR Route Validation. attorney client communication.

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Apr 1 15:10:17 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 09:47:55PM +0000, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
> > On Mar 31, 2015, at 4:52 PM, Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 08:28:08PM +0000, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
> >> AS 32787 and AS 20940 will continue to use and expand use of RADB for the foreseeable future.
> >
> > So, what do you suggest how the gaping security problems of RADB can be
> > solved?
>
> The same as we would when they arise in any other IRR? Point fingers
> of shame, get commitments to fix or go elsewhere?

Well, let me rephrase that statement.  What benefits do you see in RADB
that an ARIN IRR DB does not have?

> > Now, I understand that you can buy a maintainer object, and thus protect
> > your own address space - but as a user of the RADB, how can I see which
> > objects are legitimate, and which (paid-for!) maintainers just put in
> > stuff that does not belong to them?
>
> How will that differ in an ARIN IRR?

Well, in the context of this thread: ARIN would have to ensure that for
ARIN-assigned space only persons authorized by whoever holds that space
can modify the routing entries.  This is not there yet, but this was
precisely the question asked "should ARIN do this?".

(For address space assigned by other RIRs, this remains to be solved - one
answer could be "do not permit entry into ARIN DB if the space is not
ARIN assigned, but mirror RIPE, APNIC, ... IRR DB entries, so a user can
have a complete picture based on properly authorized data").

The issue of unauthorized route: objects needs solving, and I see no way
how RADB can reasonably achieve this, except by forcing all resource holders
world wide to maintain their data in their home RIR DB *and* in the RADB,
paying merit for the privilege of doing so.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279