[ARIN-consult] Community Consultation on IRR Route Validation. attorney client communication.

Tauber, Tony Tony_Tauber at cable.comcast.com
Wed Apr 1 11:05:22 EDT 2015

On 4/1/15, 10:47 AM, "John Curran" <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

>On Apr 1, 2015, at 10:43 AM, Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:
>>

>> I have created IRR records on behalf of customers in the past.  This is
>> most often done for stub networks who are either singly homed to your
>> network or multihomed with another network.  The customer often doesn't
>> have the experience and/or currently doesn't or doesn't want to maintain
>> the technical expertise to manage these types of routing records.
>
>How often does that pose a problem when the customers move on
>to another provider?  Is that a minor issue or do we end up with
>outdated cruft in the IRR as a result?

All.the.time

I¹d venture to say that proxy registration is the source of most of the
cruft.

That said, managing IRR stuff should be at least as easy for ARIN to walk
address-holders through on their portal as RPKI stuff including some
alerting that the routing table has gone out of apparent alignment with
the IRR.

Thanks,
Tony