[ARIN-consult] [arin-announce] Fee Schedule Change Consultation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Oct 31 15:17:47 EDT 2012

On Oct 31, 2012, at 11:37 , Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2012, at 11:24 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> Nothing to get to?
>
> Find me something on IPv6 which I can't get to on v4. This is one of the arguments.

This is an absurd argument. Ideally, we don't face that situation until we start deprecating IPv4 _AFTER_ IPv6 is fully deployed.

No doubt, due to this kind of absurd procrastination, we will face this situation sooner due to lack of IPv4 address space, but, that's certainly not ideal and certainly not a valid argument for procrastinating an IPv6 deployment.

> But a much more important argument is this. Find me anything at all which I (or anyone else) would consider essential services on v6. I have several machines set up with v6 only. I can't pay my bills, I can't access my bank accounts, about the only thing I can successfully do on those machines is look up driving directions on google maps. So yes, that is "nothing to get to".

Banks are always the last to do anything with technology, so that isn't a surprise. I forget the name of the bank, but it was only a year ago that I remember them replacing their 3270-like terminals with PC client machines.

I can actually pay for some things over IPv6 using Google Wallet.

There are people who consider CNN essential. There are people who consider Facebook and Gmail essential.

Should there be more? Sure... I'm working on it and I hope others are as well.

>>> My suggestion to ARIN was to promote getting more people to put more services on v6, which would help solve the actual real blocker.
>>
>> How do you propose that ARIN do so other than by making it easier/cheaper to get IPv6 space for those services?
>
> That was exactly what I proposed. But not "free if you want v6" but "reduction in other fees if you deploy v6".
>
> We don't have to solve the first problem listed above, but until my v6 only machines can realistically browse more than a few select sites…

Well, the number is growing and the growth rate is accelerating, so, I suspect that will be true within a year or so for some definitions of "more than a few selected sites" and will continue to improve over time.

Owen